To set the context straight away, this blog article is about pitching your ideas (not baseballs). And as a professional data scientist you will continually be coming up with ideas, however it is rare to be in an environment where you can continually convince others that your ideas are actually good ideas. Whether you are trying to convince investors to buy shares or trying to convince your management to allocate budget there are some core fundamentals that need to be address.
It wasn't until late Wednesday before I’d even start working on it and before I knew it, it was Tuesday morning the day of the pitch and I’d only pitched it in front of two people.
1. State the current position and the future vision.
2. Make a quantitative prediction of what the vision is worth at a defined point in the future.
3. Present n supporting facts that indicate your prediction will be true.
4. Tell a hypothetical story about this future vision in a way that those listening to it will be able to relate to it.
5. Be prepared to defend all aspects of the above points.
Talk again soon,